Sunday, September 24, 2006

the last and the least

Mass of Thanksgiving and First Holy Communion
Holy Child Parish
Dallas
September 23, 2006


‘Anyone who welcomes one of these little children in my name, welcomes me; and anyone who welcomes me welcomes not me but the one who sent me.’ Mk 9:37

Once there was a small village that was stricken by a terrible drought. People were panicking and were all worried about their crops and animals. Living in this desperate situation, people thought of going to their old parish priest to ask for help. The parish priest suggested that everyone should be united in prayer, asking God for the rain. He instructed the people to gather in front of the Church the next Sunday morning and asked the people bring with them anything that symbolizes their faith.

When the day came, as instructed, the people gathered outside the Church to pray for the rain and with them a symbol of their faith in God. The priest was delighted to see his parishioners holding rosary beads, some brought their bible and holy images, and others came with crucifix of different sizes.

But everyone was all surprised when they saw a little boy wearing a raincoat and holding big umbrella.

Today, we heard from the Gospel Jesus asking his disciple to welcome the little children if they want to receive God in their lives. Jesus fondly used the characteristics and qualities of the children to describe what it is like to be his true follower.

The child is the symbol of someone who is small, powerless, and innocent. Children have a strong faith; they acquire the quality of total dependence from their mum and dad. Children are not afraid to be who they are. They cry one moment and laugh the next moment. Children are not image-conscious. Children are not afraid to get hurt for being known for who they are. Children are free to be who they are, they seem playful and joyful at all times and very pleased at whatever they are doing.

Unlike Jesus’ disciples, who are arguing who is the best, the greatest, or the coolest among all, children don’t desire to be great or popular. As the apostles’ attention was focused on honor and glory and on who was the most important one, children on another hand are pretty much content with what they have. Children are contented even when lack material goods, they stand in need of spiritual blessing promised by God. That is why children are so loving and lovable.

So when Jesus heard that his apostles were discussing about their personal dreams and ambition to be great, Jesus immediately stopped their conversation and pointed out to them that if they wanted to be popular they must serve others in love. If they wanted to be the first, they need to get rid of their pride and ambition; they have to seek the last place because greatness asks that one be the servant of all.

We will never find in the Gospel Jesus teaching his apostles to boast for their works or to seek their own glory. Rather, Jesus’ teachings are all about self-sacrifice, humility, love, tenderness, compassion and forgiveness. As Jesus said: “If anyone wants to be first, he must make himself last of all and servant of all.”

Personally, this particular passage is a challenge for me as a newly ordained priest – I am a one-week- old priest to be exact. I was ordained together with my three fellow “baby priests” in St. Patrick Cathedral. There were so many people I really I felt like a celebrity. People wanted to take photos with me; some people were asking me to sign the Mass booklet; others were even asking my phone number; and I’ve got lipsticks all over my face.

For awhile I felt like a celebrity, or an Australian idol, but I always reminded myself that people admired me not really because of me but because of Christ who rests in me, and in my priesthood. Jesus Christ came in this world to serve the poor and little ones, and so like Christ, I am also called not to be served but to serve. It is my prayer as I begin my priestly journey that my faith and love of God will be like of a little child who trusts lovingly and rests contently with his or her parents.

Also, it is very fitting that this evening six children from our parish will advance their Christian journey as they receive Christ for the first time in Holy Communion. It is also very fitting that the Gospel today tells us an occasion when Jesus welcomes the children and lovingly puts his arms round them. In the Holy Communion Jesus will not only put his arms round these children but indeed Jesus will nourish their spiritual needs and keep them under his love and care. In Holy Communion, they will receive Jesus Christ, who offered for us the most perfect act of love - the total sacrifice of self – by his death on the cross and glorious resurrection.

As we continue in this Eucharist, could I ask you to please pray for these children that they may grow in their faith and love in Christ. Please pray for Fr. Justin, Fr. Thinh, and Fr. Eugene who were ordained with me last Saturday that we may always be faithful to our vocation. And let us pray for one another that we may imitate the little children, so that we can share the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ. Amen.

No comments: