Monday, May 14, 2007

My love please do not let your heart be troubled...

Sixth Sunday of Easter
May 12-13, 2007
Reading 1 Acts 15:1-2, 22-29
Responsorial Psalm Ps 67:2-3, 5, 6, 8


Fear is part of our daily life. Being afraid to something is always part of ourselves and within our human consciousness. Each of us here I am sure have our own individual fear, each of us has something we are afraid of.

When I was a child one of my greatest fears was thunder. I used to cower in fear whenever I hear loud thunderbolt. I remember my two elder sisters whenever there was a thunder rather than giving me comfort, they would scare me more!

Well I am not scared of thunder anymore. But one of my greatest fear now is to receive another speeding ticket!



Fear is one of our greatest trials.
According to a Bible commentary, "365 days with the Lord": “We fear so many things! We fear accidents, the death of a loved one, sickness, theft, rumors, unemployment, marriage breakup, old age, bankruptcy, failures, being late, missing a favorite TV program, making a bad impression, flunking an exam, wearing the wrong clothes, having pimples, getting caught in the rain, not being able to pay the mortgage, not getting a promotion, becoming fat, and so on. The list is endless.”

We can add some more, fear of being alone, fear of being lonely, fear that we might not reach our dreams and our goals. Sometimes fear is accompanied by anxiety, homesickness, uncertainty, and so on. Some people are afraid to take risk, others are afraid to fall in love…because when we have fear we feel vulnerable.

Be not afraid.
Over 300 times in the Bible we hear the message of God, “Fear not! For I am with you; don’t be afraid, it is the Lord. ” As Jesus comes walking across the water (Jn 6:16) he says, “It is I. Don’t be afraid.” Gabriel said to Mary, “Fear not, Mary.” The angel said to Joseph, “Don’t be afraid to take Mary as your wife…” The angels told the shepherds, “Don’t be afraid.” And finally when the risen Lord appeared to the apostles he told them “Don’t be afraid.”

Jesus' farewell to his disciples
In the Gospel today, Jesus is saying his final words to his disciples before he go to the Father. Jesus is leaving his followers but one day he will return at the Second Coming. But Jesus tells his disciples not to be afraid for he is sending an Advocate, the Holy Spirit, who will teach them everything, inspire and strengthen them to continue his mission on earth.

What will happen to them now?
How the disciples should live their faith in Jesus’ absence…how they will keep his words without him around…how they will remain faithful and confident without Jesus at their side?

Why we are not to be afraid?
May I suggest three things “Why we are not to be afraid?” They all start with letter P – Presence, Peace and Power.

These are three promised gifts of Jesus to his apostles as announced them of his departure.

Presence of the Holy Spirit: “The Holy Spirit will teach you everything.”
Jesus called the Spirit the Paraclete or Advocate, which also points to a number of meanings: defender, counsel, comforter, intercessor, helper, assistant, interpreter and others. The presence of the Holy Spirit in the Church will teach us to know Christ and will give us the grace to love him, even if we cannot see him. The grace of the Holy Spirit makes Christ ever present in the Sacraments, in the Church and in our hearts.

Peace of Christ: “Peace I leave with you.”
Second reason why we must not be afraid is that Jesus is leaving us his peace. All we need to do is to accept that peace. The peace that Jesus gives is not just any peace, not the peace that the world gives. Christ gives a peace which is his own: the full joy that overflows his soul. This joy and peace is nothing else than the union/unity of Christian with one another. The peace that Christ gives us is a deeper kind of peace, that brings healing, comfort, contentment, eternal happiness and spiritual tranquility.

Powerful words of Jesus: “Do not let your hearts be troubled or afraid.”
Let the words of Jesus in the Gospel today sink in to depths of our hearts “Do not let your hearts be troubled or afraid.” Not to be afraid is the fruit of peace and peace is the result of Jesus’ victory over and sin, the first gift of his Resurrection.

Through the Holy Spirit these powerful words of Jesus will bring us peace even when we face sufferings and trials, it helps not give in to failure or anxiety.

The powerful words of Jesus are addressed in a very speciall to our students today who will receive our Lord for the first time in Holy Communion. “Do not let your hearts be troubled or afraid.”

The powerful words of Jesus “Do not let your hearts be troubled or afraid” are addressed to all mothers today as we celebrate Mother's Day. May the words of Jesus give strength and hope to all mothers most especially those single mothers who are struggling hard in carrying out alone the responsibility of nurturing and caring for their children. May these words of Jesus give comfort to all mothers who are abondoned and neglected by their own children.

Conclusion
Presence, Presence and Power are the gifts of the Spirit of the Risen Lord. The challenge of the gospel lies precisely in the invitation to accept a gift for which can give nothing return. Once we embrace these gift, only then we are free to become gracious givers and instruments of Jesus’ peace, presence and power to our brothers and sisters who like us are troubled and afraid.


Lord, we become attached to the things
which brings us close to you:
our personal devotions, Sunday Masses, etc
When we have to give them up
we become anxious and even angry.
But we have learned from experience
that we must not let our hearts be troubled or afraid
because you are greater than any manifestation
of your presence, and just as Jesus went away
from his disciples and returned
so you will always show yourself to us in a new way.
Amen.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

PEACE OF CHRIST
About 3 years ago I dropped into a black hole – four months of absolute terror. I wanted to end my life, but somehow [Holy Spirit], I reached out to a friend who took me to hospital. I had three visits [hospital] in four months – I actually thought I was in hell. I imagine I was going through some sort of metamorphosis [mental, physical & spiritual]. I had been seeing a therapist [1994] on a regular basis, up until this point in time. I actually thought I would be locked away – but the hospital staff was very supportive [I had no control over my process]. I was released from hospital 16th September 1994, but my fear, pain & shame had only subsided a little. I remember this particular morning waking up [home] & my process would start up again [fear, pain, & shame]. No one could help me, not even my therapist [I was terrified]. I asked Jesus Christ to have mercy on me & forgive me my sins. Slowly, all my fear has dissipated & I believe Jesus delivered me from my “psychological prison.” I am a practicing Catholic & the Holy Spirit is my friend & strength; every day since then has been a joy & blessing. I deserve to go to hell for the life I have led, but Jesus through His sacrifice on the cross, delivered me from my inequities. John 3: 8, John 15: 26, are verses I can relate to, organically. He’s a real person who is with me all the time. I have so much joy & peace in my life, today, after a childhood spent in orphanages [England & Australia]. God LOVES me so much. Fear, pain, & shame, are no longer my constant companions. I just wanted to share my experience with you [Luke 8: 16 – 17].

Peace Be With You
Micky