Monday, April 30, 2007

Called to Love You

Fourth Sunday of Easter


Image of sheep and Shepherd
In the Gospel today, Jesus uses the image of the relationship between the sheep and the Shepherd to describe his loving relationship with us all.

Sheep have many interesting characteristics. They are vulnerable animals, they are gentle and they have poor eyesight. It is very important that sheep should always go together in a flock so they won’t get lost when they go on their own. There are foxes and other wild animals out there in the fields that could easily attack them from ambush if they got separated from their flock.

Another quality of the sheep is that they know the voice of their Shepherd. They only recognise and follow the voice of their Shepherd. When he calls out, they simply get up and come to him. They follow him out through the sheep-gate. They make no mistakes.

The shepherd is extremely important to the well-being of a flock. He guides them, makes them safe, lead them to food and drink. The shepherd knows all his own sheep by heart.
He has a special name for each character in the flock.

When Jesus speaks of the shepherd and the sheep, we think of ourselves as sheep, and our Lord, as the Good Shepherd. Jesus says, “My sheep hear my voice; I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish. No one can take them out of my hand.” Today’s Gospel brings these words of comfort and hope, but they are also words that challenge us. We are each called and gifted for some unique role in God’s kingdom which no-one else can fulfill.

Three Vocations
Vocation Sunday is a reminder for us to listen carefully to the voice of Jesus, our Good Shepherd. Vocation means a “calling”. Jesus is calling us to follow him. Some are called to the vocation of married life, others are called to single blessedness, and while others are called to the vocation to the priesthood or religious life.
The Church recognizes these three “callings” as states of life where we can follow Jesus, the Good Shepherd more closely. These three vocations are all equal gifts of God; one is not better than the other. They are all personal invitations from God to each one of us so we may be able to live happily, meaningfully and holy.

Vocation to the Priesthood
However, today we particularly pray that many young men and women will respond to the calling of priestly vocations and religious life.

In many parishes, seminarians from Corpus Christi College go out and speak at masses around the Archdiocese on this weekend. They speak of their call to follow the Lord; the talk about the Church’s understanding of the priesthood and also their hopes for their future ministry if God willing they too become a priest.

If you can still remember three years ago I came here at St. Andrew’s on Good Shepherd Sunday to share my vocation story, I was hoping to inspire young people then. It’s been three years since then, but still no one from Werribee is joining the seminary. But I will not give up, I will be amongst you for the next three years!

I remember I said in my talked three years ago that I didn’t really have a dramatic experience of conversion or experience God calling me from heaven: “follow me my son”. As a young boy I never thought of becoming a priest. It was my grandmother and my friends in highschool that influenced to join the seminary in the Philippines.
I've been a priest for only seven months. Oftentimes when I get up in the morning I still cannot imagine myself as a priest. It's weird that even my own father calls me Father. People who are old enough to be my grandparents address me Father!
I'd like to thank my family and friends who knows me too well, including my weaknesses, for their support and encouragement during the times when I was down and lonely. Thank you for your company when I felt alone. Thank you for bringing balance in my life. Thank you for your prayers. Thank you for your love.

Priesthood
Each vocation is special, but the vocation to the priesthood is something unique as priest somehow is a bridge between God and human in every celebration of the Sacraments. In his priestly ministry, he brings hope to the people; he preaches the word of God; he builds up parish communities; he looks after the school; he sometimes makes people laugh; but ultimately the priest brings us the identity of Jesus the Good the Shepherd himself.
Invitation for Inquiry Sunday
On Sunday 20th of May, the seminary in Carlton, Corpus Christi College, will have an Inquiry Day for single men who are curious or open to thinking about the priesthood as a vocation in life. Programs includes Mass, lunch with seminarians and the Archbishop of Melbourne, tours of the seminary by Rector and seminarians, and explanation of entry procedures by Director of Vocations.

If you know someone, perhaps your brother, grandson, nephew (whisper: or even your boyfriend) who is curious about the seminary, tell them to come on that weekend. If you have any question please feel free to approach me or Fr Frank.

Again, my dear friends, let us pray for the increase of priest and religious in our country. Please pray for us priests, religious and seminarians as we do pray for you.
Let us pray for one another that we may all live life to its fullness and love our own vocation, which God has given us.

We may continue to follow the voice of Jesus our Shepherd. Amen.

No comments: