Saturday, November 21, 2009

Farewell St Andrews Werribee

Thank You St Andrews!
November 15, 2009

Werribee: A Place of Nourishment

Oppurtunity
There is a strange Greek statue which has disappeared completely. But it could be reconstructed today from a stone inscription which used to be the base on which the statue stood. That inscription is a very unusual one: it makes the statue talk to you while you are reading the text.

Here is what it says:
“What is your name, O statue?”
“I am called OPPORTUNITY.”
“Who made you?”
“Lysippus.”
“Why are you standing on your toes?”
“To show how quickly I pass by.”
“Why is your hair so long on your forehead?”
“So that people may hold onto me when they meet me.”
“Why, then, is your head so bald in the back?”
“To show that when I have once passed, I cannot be caught.”
“And what is your name again?”
“OPPORTUNITY.”

St Andrews
I am very thankful to God that I have been given the OPPORTUNITY to spend the first three years of my priesthood here at St Andrew’s parish Werribee. How quickly those three years have passed? I officially started my role as Assistant Priest here at St Andrew’s on November 29, 2006. I just came back that day from a holiday trip from the Philippines. Fr Frank and Ernie Demate picked me up at Tullamarine airport at 7 o’ clock in the morning. We soon arrived in Werribee 10 minutes before 9, just enough time for me put on my vestments to say morning Mass.

It was the beginning of my beautiful journey at St Andrews – indeed it was a wonderful OPPURTUNITY – to take and to hold.

Bird’s Nest
How can I describe St Andrew’s parish? What is your role to me in the last three years?

When you go to the parish office, you will see a bird nest (like a little tiny cup) on the top left corner near the entrance door. I first noticed it when I came back from my holiday last month. I fondly observed it each day, underneath the parent birds, you can see the unfeathered baby bird peeking her head out of the nest.

Each day and night the parent birds ensured that their baby in the nest is well guarded. When they’re not around I knew that mum and dad were somewhere out there looking for food. While the lucky little bird does nothing but wait for her food supply. The little nest is her world. It’s her home; her comfort zone. It’s a place where she is fed and nourished.

Four weeks have passed, the little bird is now fully feathered in fact it has started learning how to fly. While it takes time for a young bird to become good at flying – not too long from now she has to leave its nest.

Last night, while I’m writing this Farewell Speech, I went out to check the little family, they were sleeping. I took them a picture as souvenir. I hope they didn’t mind the flash of my camera.
While a picture of a bird nest is so simple, I would like to describe St. Andrew’s parish as my “little nest”, my home, my comfort zone. Because St. Andrews is the place where I was nourished and fed for the last three years both literally and figuratively. St Andrews parish, you, built the foundational years of my priesthood. Over the past three years I have grown in experience with your help and support.

I cannot thank Fr Frank enough for his guidance, for sharing his pastoral skills, for his patience and for his friendship. I already thanked our Parish Team and Admin Team last Friday on my Rite of Passage. I thank the Parish Core Group for their vital role in backing up us priests in so many ways.

I thank our school communities – all the staff and students – for the wonderful opportunity to celebrate sacraments and social activities with you.

I thank you all for the love and care and friendship you have shown to me.
Thank you for bringing Christ to me.
Thank you for looking after Christ’s young priest in me.
Thank you for listening to my homily, or at least pretending to be awake during homily. Thank you for opening the doors of homes and doors of your fridge for me.

I learned from the last three years that priesthood is a difficult life, but, as we hear from many priests themselves, it is an intensely rewarding life. I have walked with you at the darkest hours of losing a loved one. I have joined your moments of joy at weddings and celebration of your child’s baptism, confirmation and First Communion.

Priesthood is intensely rewarding because despite our human frailty the light of Christ shines more brightly.

Italian message
I would like to say a few words now in Italian:

GRAZIE PER LE BELLE MEMORIE, SOPPORTO, INCORAGGIAMENTO CHE MI AVETE DATO IN QUESTE POCHI ANNI. IL BUON CIBO, VINO, GRAPPA, E SOPRATUTTO PER LE VOSTRE PREGHIERE AMORE E AFFETTO.

VI CHIEDO DI CONTINUARE DI PREGARE PER ME, E, IL MIO MINISTRO SACERDOTALE IO PREGHERO PER VOI NELLA CELEBRAZIONE DELLA MESSA. GRAZIE!

(Translation: Thank you for the beautiful memories, support and encouragement through the years. I loved your food, wine and grappa. Please remember me in your prayers, as I will remember you all each time I celebrate Mass. Thank you!)

Conclusion
Interestingly the Gospel reading today is about the end of the world. Everything has a beginning and end. So many things come and go in our life, in our world. But the promise given in our Scriptures is that in the end, there will always be Christ.

Like the little bird my days are now numbered, it’s now time for me to take my flight to a place not so far from here. (Maybe the Archbishop thought my wings are not yet that strong).

The wonderful OPPORTUNITY of spending my time St Andrew’s, Werribee is nearly over but wherever I may be it will always remind me of how God blessed me.

In behalf of my parents in the Philippines and myself thank you and I wish for each of you the blessing of Christ’s joy and love.

No comments: