Sunday, July 03, 2005

Called Even If Empty

I attended last Friday evening the Ordination Mass of Fr. Peter-John Neviandt. His ordination to the priesthood was a very special occasion for him and his own family, and indeed for the Diocese of Sandhurst, where he is going to work. Bishop Joe Grech was the main celebrant. He gave a powerful homily transpiring the important role of the priest in our society today. He mentioned that God has a particular plan for each and one of whether we are married person, single, lay, religious or priest. The plan of God for Peter-John (now a priest) is to represent Christ and be an ‘another-Christ’ for the people of God. He has been chosen by God to serve, to proclaim, and to continue the works of Jesus.

I tried to listen attentively to the words of Bishop Grech, and I felt a mixture of feelings of anxiety, fear, happiness, excitement and unworthiness. But the last one has overwhelmed me more than all others. I felt so unworthy being called by God. During the ordination ceremony I remembered my sins, my weaknesses, my bad decisions, my failures… How can I serve God and his people when my unworthiness weighs me down?

I wanted to say sorry and express my grief and sorrow.

I always say this prayer to Christ, through his priest, in the Sacrament of Reconciliation.

My God, I am sorry for my sins with all my heart.
In choosing to do wrong in
failing to do good,
I have sinned against you whom I should love above all
things.
I firmly intend to penance,
to sin no more,
and to avoid whatever leads me to sin.
Our Saviour Jesus Christ
suffered and died for us.
In his name, my God have mercy. Amen.



---
The ordination for the diaconate of this awful servant is on 8 October this year.

1 comment:

MYSTIC said...

I enjoyed your shared thoughts...Don't be so unsure of yourself. You will serve Him well.

Had reservations about your Independance Day observations. It is the only time in my life I was ashamed to be American. Ashamed of my government policies toward the Philipines. I love the Filipino people. Happiest people I ever met.